Free Shipping   |   Choose your own Shipping Date   |   Our Guarantee   |   Volume Discounts   |   How to Order

 
 
 

Labrador Tea vs Oregon Grape

Rhododendron groenlandicum (Ledum groenlandicum)

Berberis aquifolium (Mahonia aquifolium)

NOT AVAILABLE THIS SEASON

NOT AVAILABLE THIS SEASON

Labrador Tea
Oregon Grape

Labrador Tea is slow-growing evergreen shrub native to the boreal forests of Canada.

It thrives in wet, swampy conditions.

Labrador Tea has narrow, leathery, dark green leaves, topped by a cluster of white flowers in the spring. It is a perfect ornamental shrub for boggy, wet areas of your property.

Oregon Grape is an evergreen shrub native to North America, found along the Pacific coast. In spring, the bright golden-yellow flowers appear in clusters above the leaves. These flowers eventually give way to edible blue berries in late summer. While not a true grape, the berries appear grape-like due to their colouring and clustered growth. They can be eaten fresh, but the sour taste and high amounts of natural pectin make them well suited for preserves.

The Oregon Grape has leaves that are glossy, leathery, and spiny-edged. This feature gives it its alternate name of Holly-leaved Barberry. When the leaves emerge in the spring they are a bronze-red colour. In the summer they transition to green, followed by bright red to deep burgundy in the fall. Leaves are retained throughout the winter and colder temperatures cause the leaves to turn purplish bronze, providing year round interest to the landscape.

LABRADOR TEA QUICK FACTS

OREGON GRAPE QUICK FACTS

Zone: 1a
Zone: 5a
Height: 0.5 m (1.5 ft)
Height: 1.5 m (5 ft)
Spread: 0.5 m (1.5 ft)
Spread: 0.9 m (3 ft)
Moisture: any
Moisture: normal, wet
Light: any
Light: shade, partial shade
Fall colour: rust orange
Fall colour: bright red to deep burgundy
Berries: blue to purple, large
Flowers: white, fragrant
Flowers: yellow
Growth rate: slow
Growth rate: medium
Life span: short
Life span: long
Maintenance: medium
Suckering: none
Suckering: medium



Toxicity: slightly toxic if ingested